April 21, 2022 by Daran Wastchak
#022 Winning the "Great Resignation"
In this episode, host Daran Wastchak will be talking about a troublesome employment issue that was brought to light by a management professor at Texas A&M University in the Spring of 2021.
Prior to this, most employers knew that something very strange was going on in the labor markets, but now, thanks to this professor, they had a name for it.
We all know it now as, “The Great Resignation”.
Daran's going to talk about what the Great Resignation is and the primary drivers of this major shift in employee behavior.
More importantly, he's going to talk about how you, as a small business owner, can overcome the challenges that are a direct result of the Great Resignation.
In particular, how to win the intense battle with all other businesses, large and small, for recruiting and retaining the best employees.
Enjoy the show and don't forget to...
Stay focused on your freedom!
Here's a glance at this episode...
- [01:12] What is causing the “Great Resignation.”
- [03:30] Millions of employees are quitting their jobs.
- [05:56] The grass is not always greener on the other side.
- [06:36] What do employees want from employers?
- Good work life balance.
- A company with similar values.
- A company that goes beyond just wanting to make a profit.
- Plentiful career development and progression opportunities.
- “A strong brand reputation.”
- [08:07] Small businesses can meet these expectations.
- [08:51] I was able to meet these expectations at my own company.
- Made rejuvenation time important for myself and my employees.
- Created core values and then made sure they were in the hiring process and our job ad to ensure we matched those values with the candidates applying for the job.
- Our core values made it clear what we stood for.
- We had employee reviews to create goals and better each employee with our company and beyond.
- [11:52] We made sure to stay true to our core values to keep “a strong brand reputation.”
Links mentioned in this episode:
- “The Texas A&M Professor Who Predicted ‘The Great Resignation’”, Texas A&M Today
- “How to Quit Your Job in the Great Post-Pandemic Resignation Boom”, Bloomberg News
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Total Nonfarm “Quits” Data
- Daran’s article, "Winning the 'Great Resignation'"
- Four Levels of Freedom for small business owners
- Join my email list!