February 24, 2022 by Daran Wastchak
#018 Have You Reached the Pinnacle of Freedom?
In this episode, host Daran Wastchak will be talking about a couple ways to think about the highest level of personal and professional freedom for small business owners.
What he calls “the pinnacle of freedom.”
First, he’ll talk about a really BIG IDEA that was shared with the world in the 1940’s but remained relatively unknown for a couple of decades.
When it finally did get noticed by the business management world in the 1960's, it really took off and is now one of the most popular management theories printed in text books and taught in business management schools all over the world.
Next, Daran is going to talk about the Four Levels of Freedom for small business owners and how the pinnacle level of freedom, where every small business owner hopes to be some day, relates to the “BIG IDEA” just mentioned.
At the end of the show, listeners will have an opportunity to identify where they are on the Four Levels of Freedom, and also learn how they stack up against other small business owners.
Enjoy the show and don't forget to...
Stay focused on your freedom!
Here's a glance at this episode...
- [03:43] Maslow’s hierarchy is presented in the form of a pyramid in the following levels from the lowest.
- Physiological needs- your need for air, water, food, shelter, sleep, clothing, and reproduction.
- Safety needs- personal security, money, good health, and property.
- Love and belonging- friendships, intimacy, having a family, sense of connection, and community.
- Esteem- self esteem, respect from others around you, recognition
- Desire to become the best version of yourself
- [05:58] Another way to look at the hierarchy in terms of a person’s level of freedom
- “As a person moves from the bottom of the pyramid to the top they are actually realizing greater freedom.”
- [06:58] What are the four levels of freedom for a small business owner? From the lowest level to the highest.
- Freedom to Exit
- [12:13] To reach the highest level of freedom as a small business owner your business must be what I call “Freedom Focused.”
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Four Levels of Freedom Survey
- Four Levels of Freedom for small business owners
- Article by Todd Bridgman, Stephen Cummings, and John Ballard, “Who Built Maslow’s Pyramid? A History of the Creation of Management Studies’ Most Famous Symbol and It’s Implications for Management Education"
- Scott Barry Kaufman’s interview of Bridgman, Cummings, and Ballard, “Who Created Maslow’s Iconic Pyramid?”
- Charles McDermid’s article, "How Money Motivates Men"
- Join my email list!